A rule I’ve set for myself lately that I thought would be a fun one to share is to “Do Something Today for Tomorrow”.
As I’ve mentioned in the past, one of the things I’m really obsessed with is the ability to stay motivated. I honestly believe you can do anything you want to in life and eventually get by financially as long as you put the work into it.
That means it requires a tonne of time and effort, and that can be mentally tough for some people. If you’re like me and treat music as a second job you can have off days were you feel like giving up altogether. It’s all moving too slow, you feel stuck or you’re just worn out. Off and on, that’s been me too.
So this whole idea of doing something today for tomorrow is to get ahead of that motivation killer. No matter how small, if you set yourself a task you’re more likely to keep the energy going and stay focused.
Here’s a few examples:
- Working on a new track in the studio so I’ll have a mix down to listen to the next day which I can make notes on.
- Finishing a blog or video to release tomorrow (like this one!)
- Planning what production techniques I’ll be looking at.
- Picking out some music I want to have a listen to and reflect on.
- Setting myself the goal of reading a chapter of my current book (and making notes).
You get the idea. Let me know if this is something you might pick up. What are you going to do today for tomorrow?
DIY Hard! Join me on Patreon
For as little as £1 a month you can find out what I’m currently working on and much more!