Did you know you can add your own music to TikTok posts? I’m going to show you 3 ways right now.
If you’re like me the only thing you’ve heard about the social media platform, TikTok is that it’s just full to the brim with kids lip syncing music.
Well I’m not going to lie, it is pretty much that. I’ve been on it for a little while now as I always like to test the waters with new social media platforms and I have to say, for me, it’s the weirdest one for sure. BUT I just mentioned, it’s mostly people lip syncing music and that’s the takeaway here, music.
So, I wanted to go over how you get your music available in there to use as well as show you how.
From Your Distributor
To have your music made available in TikTok’s music library, it’s down to your distributor to flip that switch, as it were. For me, with Distrokid, there’s an option on your release profile page which lets you enable it for TikTok availability. If you don’t see an option with your distributor, I suggest sending them an email and asking for this feature for your music.
1. Add Music From the TikTok Library
Let’s assume you’ve got that sorted. Let’s go over the steps on how add it from TikTok’s music library.
- Once you’ve downloaded and signed up to TikTok, just click on the ‘Me’ option on the bottom menu.
- Now tap on the plus icon and record or upload a video. Tap on the red tick button when you’re done.
- Now tap on the ‘Sounds’ option, which is on the left hand side bottom menu and search for your artist name.
- Select the track you want and click on the red arrow again.
- Now click on ‘Next’, type your comment and hit ‘Post’ and you’re done. Your music is now on a TikTok post!
2. TikTok Music -Add Music From Another Player
But what happens if you don’t have music available in TikTok’s library? Another way to add music is to record it into a TikTok post from another player (for example Bandcamp).
- First, go to record a new TikTok video but don’t record yet. Instead, switch to a music player (e.g Bandcamp) and play your track. Now switch back to TikTok and hit record for the desired time. You have to be on the recording screen for this to work or your player will stop.
- Publish the TikTok post privately.
- View the video and tap on the spinning record on the bottom right. You might have to wait a while until you can do this, you’ll know it’s time when your profile picture shows up. It takes about ten minutes.
- Now tap on the Add to favourites button for this sound.
- Now whenever you go to create a new video you can tap on the sounds menu like in the previous example and select your bookmarked sounds.
3. TikTok Music – Add Music From Another Video
Now if you want better sound quality as this is just going off your phone’s speaker, you’ll be better off importing a video you’ve made externally.
- Import a video with your chosen sounds (music, voiceover etc) to your phone. A music art track video will be fine for this example.
- Go to make a TikTok video post as normal but instead of recording, tap on the Upload button and add your video.
- View the video and tap on the spinning record on the bottom right. You might have to wait a while until you can do this, you’ll know it’s time when your profile picture shows up. It takes about ten minutes
- Now tap on the Add to favourites button for this sound
- Now whenever you go to create a new video you can tap on the sounds menu like in the previous example and select your bookmarked sounds
Simple processes really but I always think it’s important to know how your music can be shared so you can show other people how to do it. As for being on TikTok, I’m gonna stick at it for a while and just have some fun with it, experiment and see what happens. Come on over, let’s fill it with musicians!
NEW – Check out the new simple method to add Voice Over to TikTok posts!
DIY Hard! Join me on Patreon
Want to get early access to DIY Musician Guide video & posts, as well as behind the scenes content? Get all that and more for just $1 a month when you support what I do and become a patron.